26.1.09

Anatomy of a Logline

Loglines have two main purposes: 
1. To communicate your story clearly and concisely
2. To "hook" your reader/listener into wanting to know more.
I read a very good article somewhere (sorry, can't remember or I'd lead you to it) that basically said the anatomy of a logline should always include:
1. The Protagonist
2. The Antagonist
3. A Goal
4. An Obstacle
5. An Action.
Not easy to do in one sentence, which is why I think so many loglines fail to serve their purpose. If you go on imdb, TV guide or even look at the back of your DVD boxes, you'll find most good loglines have all 5 attributes (of course, this is not the only way to design a logline - you can simplify this template, phrase your logline as a "what if" question, etc.).

Loglines look easy - which is why I think so many writers don't spend enough time developing theirs - but in truth they are deceptively difficult. I literally wrote 20/30 different variations of my logline for my current screenplay, trying to distill the entire story to its essence, and I still have about 4 different takes I fluctuate with. I was developing my logline throughout the writing process, and even into the marketing phase. I took a lot of time and thought, trial and error to come up with a simple sentence that describes my story, is easy to say and understand, and that hooks the listener/reader into wanting to know more.
It may take you some time, but distilling your story down to a one sentence logline that can be said easily and clearly understood will be well worth it once you have a one-liner that rolls off your tongue when people ask you what your story is about!

1 comment:

  1. Alain, I see that you've checked out my blog (http://www.gointothestory.com/), so I tracked back to your blog. Good stuff. I've taken the liberty of adding your site to my Friends blogroll. Best of luck with your screenwriting and blogging.

    ReplyDelete